How Related Lists Work
Below, you can see that the contact record ‘Richard Hall’ has a field called ‘Company Name’ where we have referenced our ‘Cloud City Partners’ company record. Then, on our company record, there is a list of all the contacts who are referencing it via that ‘Company Name’ field. On the contact record the ‘Company Name’ field is called a lookup or reference field because it “looks up” a single specific relevant record. A lookup field on one record creates a related list on another.
The related list section of a record is found on its related tab. Related lists show lists of records related to the record being viewed. Those lists are grouped by object. For every related list, there is a corresponding lookup field.
Taking a closer look at a related list
Every related list contains records from only one other object, but it can show all of the types of records for that object. As an example, a ‘Contacts’ related list can only show contact records but it can show contacts of the record types, Principal, Broker, Attorney or anything else, all within the same list.
In Lightning, each list shows up to 4 pieces of information from its related records. In the case of a related list for contacts we see each contact's Name, Title, Email, and Phone by default.
How to change the information shown in a related list
1. Navigate to your record and select the Related tab. Click the gear near the top right of the page and select Edit Page.
2. Click the related list section on the sample page shown. A blue box will hover over this portion of the page.
3. On the right side navigation, click on the Layout that is listed as “(previewed)”. This will open up a new tab in your browser, which you will close when changes have been completed.
Here’s an example of Steps 2 & 3:
4. In the layout menu, click Related Lists.
5. Click the wrench icon on the tab of the Related List you want to update.
6. Use the add and remove buttons to update the Selected Fields.
7. Press the OK button and then the Save button in the layout menu.
Here’s Steps 4 through 7:
8. Close this tab and return to the original tab where you clicked the (previewed) layout in step 3.
9. Click Back near the top right corner.
Contact Related Lists
Here are the related lists you may find by default on any given contact record.
- Description: A list of properties shown to be owned by the contact
- Object being viewed: Ownership
- Corresponding field information: The ‘Contact’ field on the ownership record
- Fields available by default: Property, Property SF, City, State
- Description: A list of properties with deals, sales and leases, where the contact is the seller, tenant, or owner.
- Object being viewed: Closed Deals
- Corresponding field information: The ‘Buyer Contact’ or ‘Seller Contact’ fields on a Sale closed deal record. The ‘Tenant Contact’ field on a lease closed deal record.
- Fields available by default: Closed Deal Name, Property Address, Rental Rate, Lease Expiration Data
- Description: A list of records containing acquisition and 1031 exchange requirements for the contact being viewed who is interested in purchasing property.
- Object being viewed: Buyer’s Needs
- Corresponding field information: The ‘Contact’ field on a Buyer’s Need record.
- Fields available by default: Buyer Need Name, Minimum Purchase Price, minimum Cap Rate, Product Type
- Description: Tenant’s Needs are space requirements for tenants interested in leasing space.
- Object being viewed: Tenant’s Needs
- Corresponding field information: The ‘Contact’ field on a Tenant’s Need record.
- Fields available by default: Tenant's Need Name, City, Market, Minimum Lease Rate ($/SF)
- Description: A list of pursuits the contact has been involved with
- Object being viewed: Pursuits
- Corresponding field information: The ‘Client Contact’ field on the pursuit record
- Fields available by default: Pursuit Name, Client Company, Property, Status
Listings & Assignments [Or Listings or Assignments]
- Description: A list of Listings and/or Assignments the contact is related to
- Object being viewed: Listings and/or Assignments
- Corresponding field information: The ‘Client Company’ field on the Listing/Assignment record
- Fields available by default: Listing/Assignment Name, Status, Need Date, Commission Amount
- Description: A list of closed deals related to the contact
- Object being viewed: Deal Party
- Corresponding field information: The ‘Contact’ field on a Deal Party record which also references a closed deal
- Fields available by default: Company, Role, Closed Deal, Lease Expiration Date